Thursday, November 16, 2006

Two strikes for the boss lady...

Twice...count it, that's one plus one, that's two.  TWICE, that's twice in the
less than two months I've been working for her, that my boss lady has sold me
down the river while I'm standing there in front of her boss. What does this mean?
It means she blames me for her neglectful behavior - and I have the emails to prove
it.

In the most recent incident, the boss lady turned to me in front of the boss's
boss and said "I don't know anything about this, I didn't even know it was going
on." My mind clouds for a sec in a moment of panic, then I remember the numerous
meetings that were held and the numerous meetings that the boss lady decided not to
attend. Then I remember the numerous "fill ins" I gave her as well as multiple
follow-up emails, and my priceless 9am status report meetings with her. Hmm, I gue
ss email, phone and in person doesn't seem to stick - I guess I should try
telepathy.

As I stand there as she blames me again, I breathe and think about how my
job is to make my boss look good (a task that gets harder every day. maybe I can
just change her haircut to cover the horns...no, that won't help).

Here's the frustrating part. I stand up for my girls every time. I hold
myself accountable for their mistakes as if they were my own. My boss does not
do this. She would rather take a sharp knife, make it dull, and stab me in the
eye. I could still work but it would make my job a little harder if I only had
one eye.

Someone once said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on
me." I used to live by this theory, unfortunately, it seems like there's nothing
I can do in my current situation. So what do you do when you have a boss who
blames you publicly for her mistakes? Learn how not to be when you're in her
position and learn to deal with her "kind" out in the work force. And most
importantly, take a minute to breathe when you get back to your desk and remember
that she is the type of person to get into a lifeboat as her cruise ship sinks and
row away leaving her children on the deck crying "mommy, wait..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love taking the blame from my boss too. It might actually be written into my job description. Good luck with it! Keep your head up.

Also, why is the cruise ship sinking!!!!!!!?

Anonymous said...

Please bring your blog back! It gets me through the day during my internship. Of all the female business blogs available, yours is my favorite. So, write some more! It's great!

Love, a parisian working girl :)

the working girl said...

i admit I have been MIA...luckily that just means more stories for you! i will be better about posting and sharing my experiences...so look for more to come!