Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Big Boss...

I decided I couldn't take it anymore. Today, I went to the big boss. The boss's boss's boss. Everyday for the past few months I've been looking at the clock. I've never left before 8 or 9 pm at night but the last few months I've been leaving by 6:30- at the latest! Usually by 6pm I've already mentally checked out. You see, this is what happens with you have a bad boss. The lady boss has been awful. Needless to say her indecision and inability to understand process has taken its toll on me. I was scared to death, but I realized that it was time to talk to the boss's boss's boss - the "big" boss.

See the big boss is probably the person I respect most in the company. He's intelligent, quick, and most importantly he's a visionary with the necessary skills to execute (plus I know he has a soft spot for me). He's usually in his corner office guarded by his assistant. She purposely stares over her glass desk one eye on the computer the other on his door so she can intercept anyone who may try to sneak past her. The assistant is probably the nosiest person in the company and when I set-up the meeting last week to meet with him today she was insistent. What for? Can I help you? I need a subject for the meeting request? Is 15 minutes okay? Seriously! You would think this guy was the American President.

Well my fifteen minutes was this morning. I knocked on his door and very logically went over my points/problems. I was scared shitless but it went really well. He insisted that if I started looking for another job I should tell him. He doesn't want to lose me and would move me to a different department. A born leader, he said. Commands attention when I walk into a room. Probably the biggest compliment I've ever received but the truth is my company is fairly small and my lady boss would still find a way to make my life miserable. know he's going to do everything in his power to keep me, but what else can they do? They've given me more money, they've given me a title bump. And the truth is I would give both back not to have to work with/for her. So it may be time to start looking. Don't get me wrong, I love my job...but if it's about FIT maybe it's just not right anymore.

Eeerrr, this is going to suck...

No comments: