Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The bobble head...

Dwight has a bobble head of himself in the show the Office…I often wonder what it would cost to have a bobble head made of my boss. See she sits in meetings all day bobbing her head at whatever anyone is saying even if she has no idea what it means or what it takes to get what they’re asking for done. So what do I do? I sit there shaking my head as I jot down the list of items that need to get done. Then I somehow make my way back to my desk, fall into my chair, and rewrite my “to do” list.

Today is no different. See, I’m planning a major event in another city. Every time I propose a budget it gets approved but as we sit in meetings and people start brainstorming ideas for additional items, the boss lady nods her head, says great idea, and worst of all finishes with “we’ll do it”. Of course “we’ll” do it. Of course the budget doesn’t get any bigger. And though it’s always my best intention to not have my girls sitting in the office at midnight placing stickers on water bottles or sealing envelopes with wax, it seems that because of all these new “ideas” we’re constantly scrambling to get things done in a smaller budget. While I don’t mind the scramble, what I hate is when she laughs and shakes her head as she walks out the door at 6 o’clock and says “why don’t you hire a freelancer to do that”. Well I would, really I would, but somehow I don’t have enough money in my budget to hire additional staff even when I purposely put in a request for $5k or $10k for pre-event help.

So what do you think I’m doing today. Yes, you guessed it…this thing that we have so conveniently termed as “stickering”. I’m stickering boxes with my girls to send out these gifts that we have coincidentally also had to sticker to executives who will probably never see the gift and if they do they’ll just toss them in the corner or give it to their assistants. So my stickering will then be peeled off (because really, who wants something that’s branded with a company logo anyway) and the gift will be given to some secretary’s niece or nephew.

Maybe the thing I need is a bobble head of myself, so that when boss lady is bobbing and looks at me like I’m the black plague because I’m shaking my head, I can just turn back to my computer as she screams and hit my little bobble head, bobble, bobble, bobble…

No comments: