Thursday, October 19, 2006

Alcohol makes any boss happy...remember this.

This is a tried and true fact with my bosses. Every night event I have ever produced has, in their eyes, been a HUGE success - at least the parts they can remember (it also makes me want to start serving vodka tonics at my luncheons). So the first thing I make sure of is to have a ton of alcohol at my events.

Everything actually did go smoothly (with or without alcohol). This was the smoothest event I have ever produced. Even on a rainy day we were packed! Sponsors, talent, guests, and most importantly the boss was happy. I know this because when she's happy with an event I'm always bestowed with three days of peace immediately following. My last day of peace is tomorrow. Soon my rantings will return.

The one comment I would have about the party is that Carmen Electra was not that electrifying. See the picture on the left? Okay. Now imagine how you dress when you go to do laundry. Cut her face out and paste it on that image. Hmm, when I put it that way she still looks hot. Oh well, guess you had to be there.

My favorite part of every event is at the end of the night when the cleaning staff is sweeping up and the coat racks are empty - when you finally get to sit on the edge of the stage, remove the headset, and look around at the mess that's left. It's a great feeling to end an event exhausted but satisfied. People may think it's crazy to love the feeling of being attached to your cell phone and walkie talkie, while you run around in heels, but I love it. I love it even more now than when I started. Part of the reason is because I've learned how not to take on the stress of the event and to let the event be the event. Here are three to dos:
  • Don't think you can do everything. Remember these three words: delegate, delegate, delegate. Create a pyramid of authority. Hierarchy of staff during an event is important. Have the lowest rung of people report to a couple of people and have those handful of trusted staff who have passed the I'm more than just a pretty face test report to you. If you can eliminate the mindless questions you'll save yourself a ton of time and energy.
    • You need to be more than a pretty face before you can give someone the pretty face test. No matter where you find yourself on the pyramid, remember you're on the pyramid and there are a ton of people who would kill to take your place. Note that the lower you are on the pyramid, the more you should be willing to take on. Despite popular teachings, I believe you should never say No or that you're too busy or it's not a part of your job. Do everything your boss asks you to do, read and learn it. Even travel itineraries and talent gifts are important (this is how I got Usher's cell phone number and Britney Spear's home address - tell me that's not important).
  • Once you learn to delegate, remember not to keep all the information in your head. You planned it, but when it comes down to the event make sure you've prepared each of your staff members to know everything about their respective areas.
    • If you're a staff member being delegated responsibility ask as many questions at the start because you may not have another chance. Trust your judegment. Instinct is everything.
  • When someone comes to me with a problem that I can't spend my time on I *smile* and say "I know you'll figure it out". Learn to say these magic words and you not only have the problem resolved (because it isn't about how they resolve it, it's about the problem being resolved) but you also just gave your staff some authority and responsibility. It's their job now and if you've done your job right up to this point, they won't let you down.
    • If you are responsible for an area, try to figure out the problem on your own. Take ownership and no matter how small the task do it to perfection. The easier you make your boss's job the quicker you'll have her job. I promise.
Well my last day of peace is tomorrow. Wish me luck on Monday when the madness begins all over again.

No comments: