Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I was the bitch boss today and Nicholas Lachey ruined my pitch...

Errrr...we're less than a week away from the event and for some reason I'm turning into a monster. What the hell is wrong with me?

It started this morning with the big decision: what light beer to serve, Amstel Light or Heineken Light? You've got to be kidding me? Amstel Light, duh, are we even really discussing this? Seriously, some decisions are soo small it boggles my mind how many people have an opinion. That was the start. Just when I think it's under control I had to cancel the outdoor heating contract because they couldn't get a liability insurance certificate in time, the furniture vendor backed out, and I found out that the step and repeat isn't going to be printed until Monday. Okay...I'll deal with those issues tomorrow, I had to run out the door to go on a scout for my next event.

I'm back...the scout went well but not great. See, I fell in love with the Nokia Theater for my spring 2007 event. I sold in our director, executive producer, and creative services team. That just left two more people before presenting to talent. Unfortunately, those two people thought it was okay. huh? LED screens, plasmas, a beautiful marquee to do a live feed of the show, and it's just "okay"? Grant you, walking in on Nicholas Lachey warming up for his concert that night may have put a burn on their mind, it did for my ears (but most definitely not my eyes, yummy). Thanks Nick.

3 hours later I walk into the office to find out that the new coordinator couldn't make a decision about the embroidery (though I left explicit directions), didn't send out the evite to the celebrity publicists, and didn't even interview an intern - what was she doing the last three hours? The last straw was the staff rundown document that she didn't get to me that morning and when I followed up she told me it wasn't done.

Here goes..."If you're not going to get it done, tell me. I expect it unless you tell me otherwise." Okay, so it didn't stay as nice as that. I really tore her apart. Do I feel guilty? Well I'm still obssessing over at 6 AM the next day. Do I regret it? No. Here's the bitch in me. I don't regret it, not for a second. If she wants to be on the events side of things she needs to be on point. The worst part is when I think I can give more responsibility to a twenty-three year old recent graduate (the "good" assistant) instead of this 40 year old coordinator (yes, she's forty). EEERRR, EEERRR, EEERRR!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is Nicholas Shay???

Good post again. Well written and it provides good insight into your day without becoming a laundry-list of events. It's a good narrative approach.

good luck.

the working girl said...

Thanks "cranky baby"... Nick Lachey, as some like to fondly call him, is the former Mr. Jessica Simpson. You are obviously not a female ;) By the way I like your name, it's how I feel after a long day at work.