Saturday, October 14, 2006

Can't we all just get along...

My girlfriend recently sent me this picture she took at Central Park. Adorable. It reminded me of how much I miss being around women who 1) aren't hounding you day in and day out (the boss), 2) aren't trying to sabotage you (the jealous co-worker), or 3) aren't analyzing your choice of heels and jewelry for the day (both of the above). In other words, I miss being around my girlfriends.

The past two days have been a whirlwind. We worked out our contracts and vendors. We've had all the artwork approved and creative completed. The final walk through with our sponsors went amazingly well and we booked quite a few celebrities to come on Tuesday. With the talent we confirmed Thursday night I'm sure more will jump on board Monday - woo hoo to media alerts.

I'm glad everything is going smoothly before the event (sort of a scary what did i miss calm), at the same time that just leaves room for me to think about how much of a life outside of work I don't have. I mean it's a Saturday night at 11:30 and I just got back from doing errands for work all day. My shoulders hurt, my brain is fried, and I'm wearing my flannel pajamas (sexy). Funny thing is, only one thing would make me happier in this moment of peace - being able to lean on my girlfriend on the seat next to me as we watch How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days. Again. Okay, I lied. One other thing would make me happier - Dean and Deluca's powder sugared almonds - and then leaning on my girlfriend as we watch the movie. I share, I promise.

Good girlfriends - the kind that you can trust with your most intimate secret fears (even though you may never tell them those fears) are always the kind you take for granted. I think when you're a young working woman with big dreams and naive optimism, you need your "go to" girl who has her own dreams and is just as naively optimistic to keep you focused on what you want in life. Unlike the competition you have with your female co-workers at your job, the type of underlying competitive spirit between friends is a good thing. I think it's because you're not competing for the same things in life, but you're competing in a way that makes you want to be as on track on your life plan as your girlfriend is. It's a healthy sense of support balanced with an unspoken accountability. I wish there was a way to incorporate this into the work environment.

No comments: