Monday, October 09, 2006

The Wicked Witch of the West

Monday morning: the boss is still out and there’s an eerie calm. Looking back I wonder if that was how Dorothy felt right before the cyclone scene. Then it hits. It’s about 3pm and the Wicked Witch of the West makes her first appearance in our weekly marketing meeting. “Let’s talk about the fall preview…”- this is the new manager’s project. So I’m shuffling papers, writing notes and suddenly I hear "You can't fuck-up this way!” Whoa? When did the Wizard of Oz become rated R? Suddenly I’m paying attention.

Typically I root for the four legged cutie, when the Wicked Witch furiously exclaims "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!" No! Please, NOT Toto! But this time it’s different. The Wicked Witch is right - how could you send out a press release, get a half page article in the Daily News, take out full page ads in Maxim/FHM/Playboy and have DJs talking about your stunt driving people to a website but not have anything up on the website?

I may be on the boss's boss side but I don't agree with her public mutilation of this young woman. I wish I could click my heels for her – I wish I were home, I wish I were home, I wish I were home…eyes open…still here, no ruby slippers, and Toto is lying slaughtered in the wobbly conference chair to my right. At this point the only words of wisdom I have for my co-worker are: “Run, Toto, Run!”

But wait…just when I think it’s over the new manager looks up and nods. I’m sorry. It’s my fault, I overlooked it and I’ll post the banner as soon as I get back.” Silence…Some more silence…And some more icy silence…

As you can imagine the rest of the meeting was pretty tense. As I sat back at my desk I couldn’t help but applaud my co-worker. She sucked it up and admitted she was wrong. A hard thing to do. She was lucky…she cut the abusive rampage shorter than what the boss’s boss may have intended it to be. I mean, what are you supposed to do after someone says sorry and admits it’s their fault – keep going on about how it’s their fault? We all fuck-up, but Toto’s got spirit. I like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post!

Though, the image of Toto lying slaughtered in a nearby chair is pretty awful...

Regardless of the offense, the discussion should have been held privately, not at the meeting. Poor Toto indeed.

It's impressive how the new manager handled it.

well written and amusing. Nice job!...though, Dorothy was taken in a tornado...not a cyclone:)