Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My one year anniversary

Well it finally came...my one year anniversary with my network. I expected balloons, hugs, high fives, or even just a disgusted I can't believe your still here. Nothing. The only thing I got was my money stuck in the vending machine.

Well let's look at the past 365 Days, shall we�

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments of fear.

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure,
measure a year?

Tight budgets, boring contracts, and meetings that bite
Endless emails
Bitch bosses, tight deadlines, and late Friday nights

In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure
a year at a job?

Seriously? With me it's difficult. Yes, I do have my day-to-day tasks managing the website direction and on-air promos, but the brunt of my responsibilities are special events and promotions. This means that every time I get a project I work on it for a few months and it's over. That's it. I never see the show, never walk the red carpet, never taste those yummy jumbo shrimp, and never have a glass of champagne - though I do drink straight out of the bottle when everyone has left for the night but that doesn't count. With the exception of catching it on Extra or Entertainment Tonight the next evening and reading the clippings from the press agencies, for me the event is over. So how do I measure a year?

I guess the real question is how do I measure a year at this job (besides the number of bosses I've gone through)? I would say my paycheck but that can't be right. I think I would say that I would measure the past five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes by the different trains of thought I have had. For every minute that has passed this network has forced me to think in a new way. That's five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred new ideas. Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred new challenges and five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred new solutions. Now if I could only get my paycheck to tell me that I'm five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred dollars richer every week...hmmm...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good post.

Hard to measure a year at a lot of jobs. I think you have the right idea in focusing on how the job makes you think. Does it add to your life in a way other than monetarily? If so, you're on the right track.

Congrats on making it through the year!

the working girl said...

Thanks on the congrats. I like to think my job does add to my life in other ways, but money is one easy way to measure how much work can add to your life.