Thursday, October 05, 2006

The boss's boss

While it might sound appealing to have the boss out sick for the day, the truth is when the boss is out you have to deal with the boss's boss. For me the boss's boss is the female boss you don't want to run into at a Bloomingdale's sample sale - she's the one who stomps on you as she rushes to the one rack of clothing no one wants. While normally this creative genius chooses to stay in her office and appear only for weekly meetings, today she found the uncanny skill of creeping up on me and appearing around corners.

On a typical day I avoid her phone calls at all possible cost. Her name pops up and I run to the bathroom, her assistant calls I'm off to the kitchen to get some tea. Unfortunately, today I'm the only one left. So when my phone rang this morning I had to pick up. "Hello"...there's always that awkward pause when she calls where it sounds like she doesn't remember who she's calling, but then it clicks...Her mission for the day - make my life miserable. My mission for the day - running around the office gathering left over premiums so that I could have a messenger deliver a "care package" to Christian Slater - who? Exactly. When something as important as this comes up we put contracts on hold, spots are late...hell, who cares if invoices aren't submitted - Christian needs his Girls Gone Wild DVDs, god damn it, and I'm going to get them to him! This task is obviously too important for her assistant.

It's days like this that make me truly proud of my work. In all seriousness- it does make me wonder, does my boss put up with her boss's mindless requests every day or was my boss's boss just being nice to me? Though I don't know much about my new boss, part of me feels bad for her. If it weren't for my new Miu Miu slingback heels I might have run all the way to Brooklyn to bring her some of my mom's homemade chicken noodle soup.

It was a rough Thursday and I'm forecasting a rougher Friday...Whatever the reason, I'm looking forward to Monday morning when everyone gets back to the office.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Quite amusing. I really enjoyed the second paragraph.

Though, haven't you seen broken arrow????